Having worked in various teaching and leadership roles both abroad and in Australia within the Department of Education (DET), I am most proud and humbled to be the principal of Springside Primary School. After spending the best part of ten years at Springside Primary School as a principal class member, I can honestly say our school has continued to develop strong pedagogical beliefs and expertise around evidence-based educational practices with the student always at the centre to create inclusive, rigorous learning environments for all.
Springside Primary School, formerly known as Caroline Springs College – Springside Campus and Springside P-9 College, has continued to experience steady student population growth with a current enrolment of 792 students despite experiencing unavoidable change over our eleven-year history. The opening of the Springside West Secondary College (no affiliation) in 2018 led to Springside P-9 College transitioning to a P-6 Primary school in 2020, us to offer an inclusive education featuring unique facilities and learning opportunities, such as:
- School-Wide Positive Behaviour Support Program
- Ongoing reporting to families using Seesaw
- Synthetic & Systematic Phonics Instruction in Prep/Year1
- Early identification and intervention for students with specific learning difficulties
- Extension Program in the areas of Literacy and Numeracy
- Science Lab supporting practical experiments for students across the school
- Robotics Lab supporting students during S.T.E.A.M. classes
- Food Tech Room promoting cooking skills for students using produce grown in our school garden in a paddock to plate process
- Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden maintained by students supporting our community Spade and Spoon Markets held twice termly
- Inclusion Hub open during both lunch and recess breaks offering all students a safe and structured space to learn pro-social behaviours at the point of need
At Springside Primary School we have the most adaptable and responsive students, supportive and encouraging families, generous and passionate staff and enthusiastic and focused School Council and Parents and Friends Association who are dedicated to, and actively involved in, supporting the school to be the very best it can.
Our leaders, teachers and educational support staff operate as Professional Learning Communities across Springside Primary School using data-informed practice. In 2020, the School Improvement Team prioritised curriculum, instruction and assessment to improve the academic outcomes of all students aiming to match the consistently ‘above state’ Student Engagement and Wellbeing data based on DET’s Attitudes to School Survey.
Springside Primary School prides itself on community-informed decision-making and direction driven by student voice and the Victorian Curriculum that promotes individual learning and success. Specialist classes are run annually and include: Physical Education, Visual Art, Performing Arts and Indonesian.
The school grounds include an impressive Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden with our very own chickens, an indoor multi-purpose hall with a full-size basketball court, three main buildings with central open learning spaces and several new portable structures. The grounds also include two separate adventure playgrounds, two basketball and netball courts and two ovals.
I look forward to welcoming you to our school when I return from maternity leave in 2021.
In the meantime, please contact Kate Newitt our Acting Principal on 9449 6400.